Helmet Schenfisch, PFC, US Army, December 1955 -November 1957.  Helmet had his basic training at Ft. Chaffee, Arkansas as a radio operator, but the Army found out he played trombone in the Makoti high school band and transferred him to the 49th Army band.  He was sent to Verona, Italy for 20 months where he and the band toured all over Europe playing for very appreciative troops.  Helmet remembers getting the best pizza in the world for 16 cents a slice.  After his discharge, he came home to farm.  He and his wife, Bonnie, still live and farm near Makoti.

Paul Bruns, Sgt., US Army, January 1945-January 1946.  Paul had basic training at Ft. Riley, Kansas, and he remembers that the Army used mules to move guns, ammunition and other supplies.  After training, he was assigned to the 1st Cavalry, 25th Recon Division as a military policeman.  He was sent to Guam, then to the Philippine Islands.  Paul was at Clark Army Air base, near Manila when the Atomic Bomb was dropped that ended the war with Japan.  After his discharge, Paul returned home and worked for the railroad for a time.  He and his wife, Sally, live and work on the family farm 2 miles east of Makoti.

Ardell (AJ) Nush, Spec 4, US Army 1960-1963.  Ardell had both his basic training and tech school at Ft. Ord, California.  He trained in the field of supply and ordnance.  He was shipped to Korea in 1962, and was stationed north of Seoul near Camp Red Cloud, with the 36th Ordnance Company.  His outfit supplied two divisions.  When he came back to the States, he was stationed at Ft. Benning, Georgia, with the 147th Ord Company.  While there, he was sent TDY (temporay duty) to Key West, Florida during the Cuban Missile crisis.   He was discharged at Ft. Benning and returned to Makoti where he worked as a jack of all trades for different farmers.  He still lives and works in Makoti.

Melvyn Bergeson, Sgt. US Army/ US Army Air Corps. 1945 -1948.  Melvyn entered the Army at Ft. Snelling, Minnesota.  He had basic training at Ft. Hood, Texas and advanced training at Ft. Rucker, Alabama. In 1945, he shipped out to Leyte, in the Philippine Islands .  While there, he transferred to the Army Air Corps for a three year enlistment. Melvyn was then shipped  to Ladd Field in Alaska in 1946, where he was assigned to the 322nd Air Supply Squadron, working with everything from nuts and bolts to wings and engines.  During his first winter in Alaska he saw temperatures of -68 degrees and deep snow.  Melvyn was discharged in 1948 at Great Falls AFB,  Montana, which is now Malmstrom.   He went to school in Chicago, then worked in Alaska for a time, then returned to Makoti to begin farming.  He and his wife of 48 years,  Lucile,  live on a farm near Makoti.

Walter (Walt) Skrainey, Colonel, USAF, Ret ,1956-1990.  Commissioned as a 2nd Lt. in 1965, Walt was assigned as a missile combat crew member with the Minuteman weapons systems at Malmstrom, AFB in Montana.  In 1981, Walt assumed command of the 742nd Strategic Missile Squadron at Minot AFB.  He was assigned to the Joint Chiefs of  Staff at the Pentagon as a planner for the Arms Reduction talks with Russia.  He also served at RAF, Greenham Commons, in England.  He retired in 1990, and he and his wife, Phyliss, now live in Makoti and work in Parshall.

Charles Mulligan, SMSgt. USAF, Ret.  1956-1978. He graduated from A&E (aircraft and engine) mechanics school in 1957.  He was an aircraft mechanic and crew chief for 16 years.  Among other duties, he was  the vehicle maintenance superintendent at Minot AFB from 1976-1978.   His favorite assignment was as a  flying crew chief on a C-97 aircraft  from 1965-1967.  Along with combat support missions in Vietnam,  his crew also  delivered supplies to almost every United States embassy in Southeast Asia.  He was fortunate enough to spend three memorable days in Bali.  The whole island was like a huge tropical garden.  After retirement, he returned to California and went to college.  He worked for Sunsweet Growers until his second retirement, when he moved to Makoti and now is learning to garden.

Donald Rensch, Lt. Colonel, USAF, 1958-1980.  Donald was commissioned in the Air Force in 1958 and immediately began pilot training.  During his career, he had a variety of duties mainly  as a pilot and instructor pilot.  In 1963, he was one of the first  pilots to instruct Vietnamese students to fly  the Sikorsky H-19 helicopter in combat.   In 1969-1970, he was assigned to H-43 Huskie Rescue detachment in Korea.  He also served in the 7th Special Operations Squadron. at Ramstein,  Germany.   Donald also commanded  Detachment 4, 41st Recon Wing at Hill AFB in Utah.  During his career, he flew the H-19, H-21, H-43, UH-1P, and UH-1N helicopters and accumulated 6, 000 accident free hours as a chopper pilot.  Colonel Rensch and his wife, Phyliss(Liffrig) of Ryder, were married in St. Elizabeth’s Catholic Church in Makoti.  They now live in Mesquite, Nevada and Layton Utah. Donald still has family in this area.

Dennis Markwardt, Sgt.  USAF, 1962-1966.  Dennis had basic training at Lackland AFB, Texas and technical school at Biloxi, Mississippi in the field of airborne radio.  He served at Cannon AFB, in New Mexico, and at Hickham in Hawaii.   After his discharge, Dennis worked in the aerospace industry in California, and at Northrup in New Town.  Dennis and his wife, Pat, farmed in Makoti until 1994.  They now live in Minot, where Dennis runs his own computer business.  Dennis is the son of Herb and Genevieve Markwardt, formerly of Makoti.

Gerald Rubbelke, Spec 4, US Army, 1969-1971.  Gerald did both basic and advanced infantry training at Ft. Lewis, Washington.  He was assigned to Baumholder, Germany with the 1st/87th Mechanized Infantry.  After 9 months, he was levied out of Germany to Ft. Lewis where he underwent jungle training.  Gerald was sent to Dong Tam, Vietnam.  He took a short trip to Sidney, Australia.  After discharge, he farmed north of Ryder.  He and his wife, Lillian, live in Des Lacs, and are looking forward to retirement.

Curtis Herman,  Lt. Colonel, US Army Reserve, 1946-1988.  Curtis had basic training at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland.  He had training in two fields, chemical engineering and cooks and bakers school.  He served 24 years in the North Dakota National Guard, his favorite assignment since he got to work with fine troops.  He served a total of 35 and 1/2 years, both active and inactive reserves.  He also taught school for many years.  He was superintendent at North Shore school from 1982-1986.  Since his retirement, he has volunteered as an instructor for the “55 Alive” driving program through AARP.  Curtis and his wife, Gerry, live in Prairie View  Heights.

Ronald Lampert, CMSgt. USAF, 1959-1988.  Ron had basic training at Lackland AFB in Texas and tech school at Ft. Lee, Virginia and Amarillo, Texas.  He served in various career fields, and at many different bases.  He went from Guam to Offut AFB in Nebraska at SAC (Strategic Air Command) headquarters, where he participated in  a program  testing avionics equipment.  He also worked for the Chief of Staff for the Air Force on the team that flew the General to different bases.  Ron served in Southeast Asia, flying wounded soldiers to the States.  He served his last 14 years in service at Washington, DC.   His aunt, Ruth Lampert, and Ron’s son, Scott, still live in Makoti, where Ron was born and raised. He and his wife, Genevieve now live in Bismarck.

Lyle Zieman, US Army 1952-1954.  Lyle was attached to KMAG, (Korea Military Advisory Group), north of Yon Chow, Korea.  He served as a radio operator with group of advisors to the South Korean Army.  After  his discharge, he went to NDSU and after graduation, he was in the insurance business for more than 40 years.  Lyle lives in Washington state, but always returns here for family reunions.  His sister, Marvel Petrick and their two brothers, Dale and Robert, still live in this area.

Dale Zieman, Spec 3 US Army, 1954-1956.  Dale served in the Signal Corps as a telephone man at Verdun Flats, in France.  Verdun was the site of one of the biggest battles in WW1.  Dale saw a lot of Europe while stationed there, and especially liked the Riveria and Germany.  After his discharge, Dale returned to college, then to teaching.  He retired as a professor, and he and his wife, Delores, live winters in Florida and summers in Makoti.

Robert Zieman, Corporal, US Army 1952-1954.  Robert served with the 41st AAA Comma Battalion, stationed at Long Island, New York.  He and his outfit were assigned to protect that area of NY from Russian attack. During firing tests,  Robert’s battery fired 90 mm anti-aircraft shells across the East River and consistently hit 7 out of 10 designated targets.  He liked the job, but didn’t like the crowds in New York.  After his discharge, he couldn’t wait to come home and begin farming.

Gerald (Jerry) Rensch ,Sgt. US Army, 1952-1954.  Jerry was inducted into the Army and took his basic training at Ft. Knox, Kentucky.  He was then assigned to the 141st Signal Corps at Ft. Hood, Texas as a morning report clerk.  Ft. Hood was in the middle of the worst drought and heat for many years, and had virtually no air conditioning.  After his discharge, Jerry came home where he worked for Rensch’s garage.  He later became owner of the family business.  He and his wife, Vivian,  spend summers in Makoti and winters in Arizona.

Richard (Dick) Rensch, Spec 4 ,US Army 1957-1959.  Dick had basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri, then tech training at Ft. Carson, Colorado.  He was sent to Germany where he served at Headquarters,  USAEUR(United States Army, Europe) as a company clerk.  This was the most interesting assignment he had.  After discharge, he went back to college.  He is now semi-retired and lives in Makoti.

 Ron Geving, Corporal, US Army ,1954-1955.  Ron graduated from Makoti High School in 1953.  He had basic training at Ft. Riley, Kansas, then to Ft. Ord, California.  Ron was a gunner on the reciolless rifle in the 2nd Division,  1st Cavalry stationed at the 38th parallel in Korea, and the 24th Division at the DMZ (demilitarized zone).  Ron walked guard duty, 6 hours on and 6 hours off for over a year. When he came home, he spent a year recuperating, then went to college.  He graduated from Mayville.  He is now retired and lives in Parshall.

Robert, (Jeff) Jefferson, T/Sgt., USAF Retired.  1959-1979.  Jeff had basic training at Lackland AFB ,Texas and technical school at Chanute AFB, Illinois in the field of Missile and Ground Support.  He served all over the US and in many different  career fields.  Jeff and his wife, Marcia, did a tour at Torrejon AB in Spain, and Jeff did a tour in Thailand.  He returned to the States and trained in refrigeration.  When he retired at Minot AFB, he was facility manager at  missile command post, November 1.  He and Marcia live in Makoti.

Kent Nelson, Sgt. (E-5), US Army, 1969-1970.  Kent had basic training at Ft. Lewis, Washington, and served in Berlin, Germany as an 81 mm mortar fire direction control NCO with Charlie 418.  After his discharge, he worked for Sears for many years.  Kent is now retired and lives in Minot.  His parents, Ilard and Ina Nelson, live near Makoti.

Kenneth Knudson, A1C, US Air Force, 1959-1964.  Kenneth was born in Makoti and went to school here.   He  had his basic at Lackland AFB, in Texas.  He was then assigned to Lincoln AFB, in Nebraska, where he served in personnel records.  After his discharge, Kenneth and his wife, Jo Ann, moved back to North Dakota and went to Dickinson State College and worked on the family farm near Makoti  in the summer. After graduation, they moved to Colorado Springs, Colorado, where they still live. Kenneth’s sisters, Mary Ann Schenfisch and Joleen Hauff, still live in town.

Richard Petz, Sgt. US Marine Corps, 1951-1955.  Richard had basic at Camp Pendleton, California, and served at Camp Drake, Japan with the 3d Marine Division as an intelligence analyst.  After his discharge, He went to MSU.  Dick is now retired and he and his wife, Phyliss, spend summers in Makoti, and winters in Arizona.  Richard still has family in Makoti.

Arthur Slind, PFC US Army, 1942-1943.  Art had basic training at Ft. Warren, Wyoming, and then was sent to a training camp outside Pittsburg, California.  After his discharge, he worked in Seattle for a time, then began farming in 1946.  He and his wife, Millie, are retired and live in Minot.  They have been married 59 years.

Joel Fischer, Specialist (E-5), US Army 1971-1973.  Joel had basic training at Ft. Lewis, Washington.  Since  he had two years of college in the field of automotive mechanics, he was assigned directly to Ft. Wainwright, Alaska.  Joel served in the 242nd Aviation Battalion motor pool as a mechanic.  After discharge, Joel returned home to farm.  He and his wife, Connie, are active in the American Legion.  They still live on the family farm.

Orlan Schenfisch, Spec 3, US Army, 1954-1956.  After basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri where he took training as a dozer operator, Orlan took advanced training as a dozer operator at Ft.  Bragg, North Carolina,  before being sent to Korea.  He was assigned to the 68th Engineer Aviation Battalion attached to the Air Force as a typist.  Orlan helped close out the headquarters battalion, then transferred to the 11th Engineer Battalion as a dozer operator.  After his discharge, he returned home  and began farming.  He and his wife, Sharon, still farm outside Makoti.

Virginia Wolff:  Chief Yeoman, US Navy, WAVE, 1943-1946.  Virginia served as a ship’s service administration specialist, and received rapid promotion and a commendation for her dedication to duty.  She was stationed at Quonset Point, Rhode Island, an assignment she loved.  After the war, Virginia married Elmer Wolff, and moved to a farm outside Ryder.  She and Elmer now spend their time between Ryder and Mercedes, Texas.

Elmer Wolff, 1st Lt., US Army Air Corps, 1942-1945.  Elmer flew 63 combat missions, flying P38 and P39 fighter planes. He liked his training assignment in Ontario, California best, although he trained all over the United States.  Elmer departed December 24, 1944 for his assignment to the 339th Fighter Squadron, part of the 13th Air Force in the South Pacific in New Guinea.  He was at Leyte in the Philippines when the war ended and he left Palawan, Philippines for the US in November, 1945, on a troop transport.  Elmer remembers this as “27 days of pure misery”.  After his discharge, he and his wife of 54 years, Virginia, moved to Ryder to farm.

Arnold Olson, PFC, US Army, 1951-1953.  Arnold served in the 182nd Infantry 43d, Division as a mail clerk at a post near Munich, Germany.  His most memorable time during his tour of duty overseas was a trip to Zurich, Switzerland.  After his discharge, He returned to Makoti to begin farming with his father., where  Arnold and his wife, Kitty Ann, still live.

Richard, (Dick) Frye, F2C, US Navy, 1944-1946.  Dick graduated from Makoti High school in 1944, and because he was only 17 he had to convince his father to sign the papers so he could go into the service.  Dick did basic training in Idaho, then went to Great Lakes Training Center for tech training as a machinist  in the engine room..   Dick was scheduled to depart Bremerton, Washington aboard the  aircraft carrier, “Bunker Hill”, when he became ill with an infected mastoid.  Dick was hospitalized and treated with the new miracle drug, penicillin.  The carrier returned to port badly shot up, and Dick was glad he wasn’t on board.  Dick still remembers his serial number from so long ago.  He also remembers V-J day in Seattle, when he and an Admiral exchanged hats to celebrate the end of the war.  Dick came back to Makoti in 1946, worked as a mechanic, farmed, raised 6 kids and lived happily ever after with his wife, Gwen.  They have been married more than 50 years.

Steve Bigelow, Sgt. (E5), US Army National Guard, 1978-1986.  Steve served mostly in Minot and Virginia where he worked for the CIA for a time.  He was a welder in the 164th Engineering Combat Battalion.  Steve returned to Makoti in 1982, where he still farms and runs his pump repair business, Central Machinery.

Loren Quandt, Cpl., US Army ,1952-1954.  Loren served in the “Punchbowl” in Korea with the 5th Regiment Combat Team as a radio repairman.  After his  discharge, he returned to the farm at Ryder.  Loren is retired, and he and his wife, Janice, live in Makoti and have two miniature horses, Bil and Ole.

Dennis Petz, Spec 4, US Army, 1954-1956.  Dennis went through basic training at Ft. Bliss, Texas, and then to Atlanta General Depot for advance training in vehicle maintenance and ordinance.  He served in the 8182nd Army Unit at Opama, Japan.  After his  discharge, Dennis returned to Makoti and farmed for awhile.  He now is in the automotive parts business.  He and his wife, Dee Dee, live in town.

Oswald Schenfisch, Sgt., US Army Air Corps, 1942-1946.  Oswald served as an aircraft mechanic, working mostly on B17  and B24 bombers. He was stationed in the United States and in Greenland.  After his discharge, he returned to Makoti and began farming.

Wilmar Schenfisch, Sgt. US Army, 1950-1952.  Wilmar was in the 40th Infantry Division 625th FABN.  He did his basic training at Camp Cook, Calif,  and completed the field artillery mechanic course.  He served in Japan and Korea.  Wilmar was in charge of the 105 howitzer section during his last few months in Korea.    Wilmar remembers the trip home as being very rough with crowded and miserable conditions. After his discharge, he served in the Army Reserves for 5 years. He and his wife, Mary Ann, farmed for many years outside town, and recently moved into Makoti.

Marlin, (Marty) Walters, Sgt. USAF, 1966-1970.  Marty did his basic training at Lackland AFB in Texas and tech training at Minot AFB and Vandenberg AFB in California..  He refueled F106 fighter aircraft and the KC 135s.  Marty also headed the anhydrous plant, refueling the missiles.  Marty returned to Makoti and owned  the lumber yard for a time.  He and his wife, Leslie, live in Makoti.

Hal Erb, MSgt. USAF, Ret.  1969-1992.  Hal was stationed in Utapao,  Royal Thai Air Base,  assigned to JUSMAG, (Joint United States Military Advisory Group) in Thailand.  He liked the assignment very much.  Hal served in the Security Police and as a First Sergeant.  After retirement, Hal returned to Makoti, where he serves as our mayor.

Jim Stafslien, Seaman, US Navy, 1956-1957.   Contrary to popular belief, Jim’s ship was not the “Monitor or the Merrimac”. Jim says he was a “deck ape” on a wooden minesweeper.  The “USS Leader”  holds the record for surviving a 56 degree roll during a typhoon.   According to Jim, the report from the lookout on the bridge was “glug, glug”.  Jim was discharged from the Navy at Long Beach, California, and returned to Makoti to begin farming.

Jim Blowers, Motor Machinist, 2nd Class, US Navy. 1943-1947.  Jim served aboard the LSD, (landing ship dock), “USS Epping Forest”.   He was in the South Pacific, at 7 different islands, including Guadalcanal and Okinawa.  The island of Shodum, off Guadalcanal was his favorite, because of the beautiful mountains and coconut plantations.  Jim returned to ND in 1946, and he is currently operating the heating oil business in Makoti.

Ralph Butterfield, Spec 4, US Army, 1967-1969.  Ralph was stationed at Long Binh, Vietnam, where he was a data analyst, monitoring mission personnel.  He returned to Makoti in 1970, where he serves on the Makoti Park Board, drives the ambulance for the EMT squad, and is trained as an accident extrication specialist.  He also is the  water commissioner, the  fire chief and works as a mechanic at Rensch’s garage.

Wayne Aamot, Sgt., US Army, 1942-1945.  Wayne was a Surgical technician serving as a male nurse in the operating room.  He trained at Fitzsimons Army Hospital in Denver and served as a medic on  various ship’s hospitals.  Wayne spent two years, eight months and twenty-one days on the Pacific Ocean, aboard different ships, caring for wounded soldiers and sailors.  He spent 11 months as the only medic on board a freighter.  He shipped out 8 times from San Francisco, going to New Zealand, Australia, Okinawa and many other islands, picking up wounded and bringing them home.  After his discharge, Wayne returned to Makoti and began farming.

Steve Petrick, Spec 4, US Army, 1970-1971.  Steve served at Ft. Sam Houston, Texas, in the preventative medicine field.  After his discharge, he went to MSU on the GI Bill.  Steve farms near  Makoti and also has a tax preparation business in Minot..

Gordon Smith, MAM  Petty Officer 3d class, US Navy, 1945.  Gordon was stationed at an Air Base in Agana, Guam. in the post office as a mailman..  In 1949, Gordon  went into partnership with his father in the Smith Red and White grocery store in Makoti which he owned for 43 years.   Gordon is semi-retired and plays golf, travels and helped with the recent park renovation.

Edwin Zablotney, Spec 4, US Army, 1963-1966.  Ed served with the 82nd Engineering Battalion as a water treatment specialist.  He was stationed in Bamberg, Germany.  After his discharge, he came home and went to college for a time, then began farming near Makoti.

DALE A. BARSNESS - Captain USAF 1957-1962. Dale was commissioned in the Air Force in 1957.  During his military
career he was stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB Research and Development Center, Dayton, Ohio, where he worked on Advanced
Synthetic Lubricants required in the machining process to build the U-2 spy planes.
After military duty he worked at General Electric (Silicone Product Dept.) and the Loctite Corp.(Adhesives and Sealants) where his materials were used in the NASA Space program.
Dale and his wife Shirley met and married in Dayton, Ohio in 1960.  Dale and Shirley are now both retired and living in Simsbury, CT.  They have 3 children and 6
Dale is the son of the late Reuben and Valdine Barsness (Roseglen) and the step-son of Melvin Kolden.  Dale lived in Makoti 1947-1953, (i.e., Melvin and Valdine Kolden
Farm), and graduated from Makoti High School in 1953. He graduated from the University of North Dakota in 1957.

Lee Arthur Hovda  SMSgt, Air Force Retired.  Lee took his Basic Training at Lackland AFB, Texas and his Security Police Training at Chanute,  AFB, Illinois.  He remained in the Security Police field his entire career and had many challenging and enjoyable assignments.  His first assignment was working in the Confinement Facility at Parks AFB, California, followed by what was probably his most enjoyable assignment as a Fish and Wildlife Agent at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska.  He then was assigned to Randolph AFB, Texas,  followed by Travis AFB, California.  When the opportunity became available to return to Elmendorf AFB, Alaska again he was more than willing to go.  He was in charge of Security Police Investigations on the base.  This tour also included the 1964 Alaska earthquake, which made the tour even more memorable.  From Alaska to Mountain Home AFB, Idaho was a big change, from beautiful mountains to the hot desert.  He volunteered to become a Security Police Training Instructor at Lackland AFB, Texas and remained there until going to Takhli AFB,Thailand during the Vietnam war.  Upon returning from Thailand,  he was stationed at Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio until returning once again to Lackland AFB, Texas.  This was his most rewarding assignment, as Superintendent of the Security Police School for the Air Force.  He remained in that position until his retirement in 1973.

Lee and his wife, Lily, whom he met on his first assignment in California, retired in San Antonio.  He owned a small business there for a few years, after which he and his wife traveled. They returned to Makoti many time to visit his sister and brother-in-law, Betty and Geneil Evanchenko of Makoti, and his many nieces and nephews and other relatives in the Makoti and surrounding area.  Two of the most enjoyable trips were taking the Alcan Highway back to Alaska for the summer, visiting their daughter, son-in-law,  and one of their grandsons.
Lee died in 1996 in San Antonio and is buried at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery in San Antonio.  Lily now lives in Katy, Texas near two of their daughters and grandchildren.